Arts subjects don’t always receive the recognition they deserve. We are constantly hearing about cuts within the arts and, in some cases, they are completely ignored altogether. But it’s not all doom and gloom! Studying music at a university or music college can be a smart move.
Over the past few months, I’ve read some interesting comments on social media sites about the value of employing musicians, specifically music graduates. The general argument revolved around the respective positive verses negative traits of employing musicians within other professions. However, employing a musician might just be the best decision employers ever make, and here’s why:
1. Musicians are highly disciplined. They have spent years working at their instrument or voice, prioritising practise time (frequently running into hours per day), constantly setting and achieving new goals.
2. Musicians are generally well-organized. They constantly organize their schedule to include practice time, rehearsal time, networking time and so on, all on a regular basis.
3. Musicians are natural problem solvers. Whether working out technical problems in pieces of music, or finding funding for a project, musicians will work tenaciously to secure their goals.
4. Musicians are analytical individuals. They are thinkers who analyse and conceptualize, forming opinions and digesting information with ease.
5. Musicians are accustomed to arranging, hosting and performing at public events which makes them confident when it comes to interacting with others.
6. Musicians are generally excellent networkers; this activity is a prerequisite for obtaining regular performance opportunities; recitals, concerts, session work, and even obtaining pupils.
7. Musicians are adept and usually confident at speaking in public; whether introducing concerts or rehearsing large groups of musicians, they are accustomed to audiences.
8. Musicians think outside the box. They are creative in every sense of the word, always seeking new ways of presenting music, projects and ideas.
9. Musicians are generally expressive human beings who posses great communication skills.
10. Musicians are often competitive, highly motivated and driven, giving them an edge.
Those who’ve studied for a music degree could be amongst the most employable and successful of all graduates. So if you are studying music, considering studying music, or have studied music, you may just be on the path to a bright, gilded future, whatever direction that path may take!
If you intend to stay within the music profession, you may find the following website helpful; Music Careers for your personality type, which is designed to assist those who are considering a career in music.