It’s Friday and therefore time for a weekend competition. My competition this week highlights three books all courtesy of the fabulous Faber Music.
The Ultimate Piano Solos anthology is just that: a collection of fifty favourite works across many different genres arranged for the piano, for approximately Intermediate (to advanced) level. Beautifully laid out, this selection would make a superb addition to any pianist’s library, and is particularly useful for advanced players who are searching for interesting sight-reading material. It also offers plenty of ideas for those who seek party pieces too.
Included in this book are the following: Bella’s Lullaby (From Twilight), Davy Jones (From Pirates Of The Caribbean), Dive (Ed Sheeran), The Entertainer (Scott Joplin), Gymnopedie No.1 (Erik Satie), How Deep Is Your Love (Bee Gees), Karma Police (Radiohead), La Fille Aux Cheveaux De Lin (Claude Debussy), Melodia Africana 1 (Ludovico Einaudi), Moonlight Sonata (L.V. Beethoven), Pavane (Gabriel Faure), Prelude In E Minor (Frederic Chopin), A Thousand Years (The Piano Guys), Variations On The Kanon (George Winston), What A Wonderful World (Louis Armstrong), Memory (From Cats).
Arrangements provide the perfect opportunity to spend time at the piano getting to know both new and favourite tunes. The Easy Piano Series is proving popular, and I’ve two volumes to giveaway; Film and Shows. These books are easy to read, often include words to songs plus chord indications, and are suitable for anyone from around Grade 2 – 4 (ABRSM level). Excellent as repertoire books for that ‘between exams’ stage, or for an end of term concert.
The Easy Piano Series Film features:
- As Time Goes By (Casablanca)
- City Of Stars (La La Land)
- Davy Jones Theme (Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest)
- Hedwig’s Theme (Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone)
- How Far I’ll Go (Moana)
- New Moon (The Twilight Saga)
- Not About Angels (The Fault in Our Stars)
- Pure Imagination (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)
- Raindrops Keep Fallin’ On My Head (Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid)
- The Ring Goes South (The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring)
- See You Again (Furious 7)
- Star Wars (Main Theme) (Star Wars)
The Easy Piano Series Shows features:
- Breaking Free (High School Musical)
- Maybe This Time (Cabaret)
- Memory (Cats)
- Nowadays (Chicago)
- On The Street Where You Live (My Fair Lady)
- Someone To Watch Over Me (Oh Kay!)
- Summer Nights (Grease)
- Summertime (Porgy & Bess)
- Tomorrow (Annie)
- Wait For It (Hamilton)
- Where Is Love? (Oliver!)
- You Give A Little Love (Bugsy Malone)
I have one copy of the Ultimate Piano Solos, and one each of The Easy Piano Series Shows and Film for three lucky readers. As always, to be in with a chance of winning, please leave your comment in the comment box at the end of this blog post. I will announce the winners on Monday evening (British time), so be sure to check my blog to see if you’ve been successful. Good Luck!
For much more information about how to practice piano repertoire, take a look at my two-book piano course, Play it again: PIANO (Schott). Covering a huge array of styles and genres, 49 progressive pieces from approximately Grade 1 – 8 level are featured, with at least two pages of practice tips for every piece. A convenient and beneficial course for students of any age, with or without a teacher, and it can also be used alongside piano examination syllabuses too.
You can find out more about my other piano publications and compositions here.