Many of you have no doubt enjoyed gifts of chocolates, bouquets of flowers and cards this morning. However, for those who fancy a slightly different ‘falling in love’ experience, here are a few reasons why you may like to consider the piano as a love option!
1. The piano is undoubtedly the King of instruments and it needs no other accompaniment. It stands alone and can be enjoyed anywhere whilst providing all the fundamentals in music; melody, rhythm and harmony. It has few rivals and is the instrument of choice for those who want a fulfilling hobby or pastime.
2. It produces the most beautiful sounds and in the hands of a skilled pianist it can be transformed to compete with a full orchestra, such is the depth and colour available to those who play it.
3. It’s one of the most versatile instruments; it’s possible to play any style on the piano. Whether your passion is for Boogie-Woogie, Folk, Jazz, Pop or Rock, Musical Theatre or Classical, all music translates successfully.
4. Once you have mastered the basics you can more or less play any keyboard instrument; Organ, Harpsichord, Clavichord, Spinet, Celeste, Digital or Electronic pianos……there are so many options.
5. When you can play, you will be popular! You’ll be able to accompany choirs, church congregations, play in rock or pop groups, play duets with friends and accompany other instrumentalists and singers……as well as playing alone for yourself.
6. You will have the opportunity to play the largest repertoire on earth! There is so much piano music it would literally take ten lifetimes to cover everything so you have infinite choice when deciding what to play.
7. To learn to play the piano you need to read two lines of music; one for the right hand and one for the left. This is a really useful accomplishment because you will then be able to read the treble and bass fluently. Many instruments require the player to read only one line of music (either Treble clef or Bass clef) which is not as useful.
8. The self discipline, motivation and muti-tasking needed to practice and play well is an enormous benefit in life generally. The human mind usually finds playing the piano a challenge which provides enjoyment and deep satisfaction too. And it’s great fun!
9. The opportunity to perform can imbue great confidence and self esteem.
10. Playing the piano can encourage you to fall in love with music and the arts……a passion which will hopefully last a lifetime.
So what are you waiting for? Perhaps it’s time to look into getting a piano and taking lessons? You might discover your real passion.